Pennsylvania is a state that is known for its bustling industries, including construction, mining, and agriculture. These industries rely heavily on heavy equipment, such as bulldozers, excavators, and tractors, to get work done effectively. With the increasing demand for heavy equipment, working with an efficient and reliable shipping company is necessary. The shipping process involves careful planning, getting appropriate permits, specialized equipment, and trained drivers to ensure the safe and timely delivery of heavy equipment. Read on to understand how to go about heavy equipment shipping to Pennsylvania, its challenges, and how to overcome them.
There are a few considerations that are vital in guiding you through this shipping process, including:
Nothing will save you more time and money than picking an ideal shipping company. Select one with the right experience handling heavy equipment and an excellent customer support team. When looking for a shipping company to transport your heavy equipment, here are things that can make the process easier:
- Reputation: Read the online reviews, customer feedback, and ratings to understand the company’s reputation.
- The network: A reliable shipping company should have a vast network of carriers, warehouses, and delivery options to ensure your heavy machinery reaches its destination on time.
- Certifications and licenses: Ensure the shipping company has all the necessary certificates and licenses required to operate legally.
- Prices: Compare shipping rates from different companies to ensure you are getting a fair price before committing to ship with the team.
- Transparency: Find a team that is transparent about their pricing, delivery times, and any additional charges.
Choose a company with the necessary permits and licenses to transport your heavy equipment in and out of Pennsylvania. When shipping heavy equipment across the United States, there are several essential permits that the shipping company should have. Here are some of them:
- Oversize/Overweight Permit: The permit is necessary when transporting equipment that exceeds the state’s legal weight and size limits. It is issued by the state’s Department of Transportation (DOT) and specifies three things;
- Route for the transport
- Escort Vehicle Permit: It is ideal for vehicles that escort heavy equipment during transport. It specifies:
- The type of vehicle
- Driver’s qualifications
The permit is ideal when shipping heavy equipment across states or within a state such as Pennsylvania.
Ensure that the shipping company you are about to work with has these permits before transporting your heavy equipment to avoid legal and safety issues. Failure to obtain the necessary permits can result in fines, impoundment of the equipment, and other legal consequences, thus delaying the shipping process.
Inspect your heavy equipment thoroughly before shipping to identify potential issues or damages. This will help you avoid any legal or financial liability during transportation. Ensure your equipment is in the best possible condition before shipping it. Inspecting your equipment before shipment is a crucial step that will help ensure that it is transported safely and arrives at its destination in good condition. So, why should you inspect your heavy equipment before shipping?
- Safety: Inspecting your equipment before shipment will help identify potential safety hazards. It ensures your equipment is safe to transport and will not cause accidents or injuries during transit.
- Avoid damage: Heavy equipment can be expensive to repair, and damage during transit can be costly. Inspecting your equipment before shipping will help identify any pre-existing damage and ensure it is adequately secured for shipment, reducing the risk of damage during transit.
- Compliance: Depending on the type of equipment you are shipping, you must meet the set regulatory requirements. Inspecting your equipment before shipment will help ensure it meets all requirements and is compliant with regulations.
- Insurance: Many shipping companies require that heavy equipment be inspected before shipment to ensure it is adequately secured and safe for transport. If not, your equipment not being covered by insurance in case of damage or loss during transit.
- Peace of mind: Knowing that your equipment has been inspected and is safe for transport will give you peace of mind during shipping. You can rest easy knowing that your equipment is in good hands and will arrive at its destination in the best possible condition.
Proper packaging and securing your heavy equipment will protect it from damage during transportation. Use high-quality materials like wood, steel, or aluminum for packaging and secure it with straps, chains, or binders. It ensures the equipment reaches its destination in good condition, without damage.
Shipping heavy equipment in Pennsylvania is not as complicated as it sounds. With the right shipping company with ideal permits, it will be easy to transport these items quickly. Notably, most shipping companies are always ready to discuss the shipping plans with you and guide you on how to package the machinery. At Ship A Car, we offer free estimates, so, talk to our team of experienced individuals who are always ready to answer your questions.