Motorcycle shipping refers to transporting a motorcycle from one location to another. You might want to ship your bike for various reasons, such as moving to a new city or state, buying or selling a motorcycle, or participating in a motorcycle event or race. The process typically involves picking up the bike from its current location, loading it onto a shipping carrier, and delivering it to its final destination.
There are several factors to consider when shipping a motorcycle, such as the type and size of the motorcycle, the pickup and delivery locations, and the shipping method used. Depending on the circumstances, the process can be customized to meet the shipper’s specific needs, such as choosing between open or enclosed shipping, selecting a particular delivery date, or adding insurance coverage. Read on to understand various aspects of motorcycle shipping, including the different types of carriers, the costs involved, and the steps involved in preparing your motorcycle for transport.
Working with a shipping company is the ideal method of shipping a motorcycle. Since these companies have been around long enough and have shipped many motorcycles, they can quickly ship your motorcycle safely. Here are some common methods for transporting a motorcycle that shipping companies use:
Over long distances, shipping companies prefer using trailers over moving trucks. That is why using a trailer is one of the most popular and safe ways to transport a motorcycle. The trailer should be sturdy, well-maintained, and has appropriate tie-downs. Here are different trailers a shipping company might use when shipping your motorcycle:
The method involves loading the motorcycle onto an enclosed trailer, which protects it from the elements and potential damage during transit. These trailers have walls and a roof, providing a fully enclosed space for your motorcycle. Luckily these trailers come in various sizes and configurations, ranging from small utility trailers to larger models capable of hauling multiple motorcycles. Therefore, if your motorcycle has many modifications and you wonder if there is a specific way to ship it, this is the right method. These trailers are made from steel or aluminum and often feature a rear ramp or door for easy loading and unloading.
In this method, the motorcycle is loaded onto an open trailer and transported along with other vehicles. It is exposed to the elements and may be at a higher risk of damage. Unlike enclosed trailers, open trailers have no enclosed sides or roofs. They are typically made of a sturdy metal frame with a flatbed and two or more wheels and are designed to be pulled by a vehicle such as a car or truck.
The method is popular among motorcycle enthusiasts because it allows for easy loading and unloading of motorcycles and provides excellent visibility of the bikes during transport. They are also typically less expensive than enclosed trailers and can be easier to maneuver in tight spaces.
When shipping a motorcycle, it’s important to take the necessary precautions to ensure it arrives at its destination safely and undamaged. One way involves disassembling the motorcycle and packing it into a crate, which a shipping company transports. This method is often used for high-end motorcycles or when shipping overseas. Here are the basic steps for shipping a motorcycle in a crate:
- Choose the right crate: Look for a crate specifically designed for motorcycle shipping, or have one custom-made to fit your bike. The crate should be sturdy and made from durable materials like wood or metal.
- Prepare the motorcycle: Before placing the motorcycle in the crate, remove any loose or easily detachable parts, such as mirrors or fairings, and place them in a separate container. Drain the gas tank and disconnect the battery. Here are other ways to prepare your motorcycle for shipping:
- Thoroughly clean the motorcycle.
- Take pictures of your motorcycle and note if there are any scratches and dents on it.
- Disconnect the alarm to ensure it does not go off during shipping.
- Remove accessories.
- Secure the motorcycle: Use tie-down straps or a motorcycle-specific hook to secure the motorcycle to the crate. Ensure the motorcycle is level and balanced within the crate to prevent shifting during transport.
- Add cushioning: Place foam or other materials around the motorcycle to prevent it from moving within the crate. This will help protect it from bumps and vibrations during transport.
- Close and seal the crate: Close the crate securely and seal it with heavy-duty tape. Label the crate with your name, contact information, and destination address.
Motorcycle shipping is an excellent option for individuals who need to transport their motorcycles over long distances. It offers convenience and peace of mind, knowing that your motorcycle will be safely transported by experienced professionals specializing in motorcycle shipping. You can find a reputable motorcycle shipping company with proper research and preparation. However, you need look no further, because the SAC team is the best in the US. The team at Ship A Car will ensure your motorcycle arrives at its destination in good condition.